iTunes Plus FAQ

What is iTunes Plus?

iTunes Plus is the new standard on iTunes. iTunes Plus downloads are songs and music videos available in our highest quality 256 kbps AAC audio encoding (twice the audio quality of protected music purchases), and without digital rights management (DRM). iTunes Plus music can be burned to CD as many times as you need, synced to any AAC-enabled device (such as iPod, iPhone, or Apple TV), and played on any Mac or Windows computers you own.



How much does iTunes Plus music cost?

iTunes Plus songs, music videos, and albums are available at the same price as DRM-protected versions.



Can I upgrade previously purchased music to iTunes Plus?

Yes. Any available upgrades will be shown on the Upgrade to iTunes Plus page.
You can upgrade all of your items at once by using the Buy All button.
This replaces all eligible previous purchases with iTunes Plus versions of the same items.
You can also choose to make individual upgrades by clicking the Buy button to the right of each item. Song upgrades are available for 0.30 USD, video upgrades for 0.60 USD, and albums for 30 percent of the album price.
The counter to the right of the "Upgrade to iTunes Plus" link in the Quick Links box will indicate when additional eligible content become available.
You can view your eligible iTunes Plus upgrade items by clicking here.



Can I still buy music encoded at 128 Kbps with Digital Rights Management (DRM)?

Yes, you can still buy music encoded at 128 kbps with DRM.
However, music which is available in iTunes Plus will replace DRM-protected music on the iTunes Store.



Is there a change in video quality for iTunes Plus videos?

No, the video quality remains the same.
iTunes Plus means that the music videos are offered DRM-free and with our highest-quality audio within the video, 256 kbps AAC.



How do I purchase and play iTunes Plus music?

First, upgrade to the latest version of iTunes.
Music and music videos available in iTunes Plus are indicated as such on the album or video page or track list.
To purchase, simply click the Buy button as you would for any other music on the Store.



What happens to my existing files when I upgrade my music to iTunes Plus?

Your upgraded iTunes Plus music will replace the original purchases in your library.
You will be given an option to delete the original files or move them to your desktop at time of download.



Why is iTunes Plus format available for certain music, but not all?

The reason that certain music and music videos are not offered in our DRM-free, highest quality audio format is because they have not been provided in iTunes Plus format from the music label.



If I have a free song or video code, can I redeem it for an iTunes Plus song or video?

Yes. If you have a code for any free song or video you can redeem it for an iTunes Plus song or video.



How does Complete My Album work for iTunes Plus?

If you've purchased a single at 128 kbps with DRM and want the iTunes Plus version of the remaining tracks, you may use Complete My Album. The Complete My Album offer will deliver the remaining tracks in iTunes Plus.



Can I give iTunes Plus music as a gift?

Yes. To find out more about how to send gifts from the iTunes Store click here.



Can I use iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates to pay for iTunes Plus music?

Yes, you can use iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates to pay for iTunes Plus music and upgrades.



What do I need in order to purchase and play iTunes Plus music?

You'll need to upgrade to the latest version of iTunes to preview, purchase, and play iTunes Plus music.



What is Complete My Album?

If you have purchased one or more songs from an eligible album, you can now complete the album without having to pay the full album price, and instead of receiving the album in its entirety, you will receive only the songs you had not previously purchased. For example, if you purchased one song from an eligible album priced at $9.99, you can get the remaining songs for $9.00—instead of paying $9.99 for the album and buying the single again. You can complete albums this way even if you were given the initial song as a gift.

If you purchase a song from an eligible album on the iTunes Store, an offer to complete that album will appear on the Complete My Album page, which you can access under Quick Links on the iTunes Store homepage.



How long do I have to take advantage of Complete My Album?

When you buy individual songs from any qualifying album, you will have 180 days (about six months) after purchasing the first of those songs to complete the album without having to pay the full album price (in some cases you may have more time). You'll find the expiration dates for your eligible albums on the Complete My Album page. If an album does not list an expiration date, the Complete My Album offer is available for as long as the album is available on the iTunes Store. These availability periods are subject to the availability of the album on the iTunes Store and its continued eligibility for Complete My Album.

Note that most items you acquire for free, such as a Single of the Week, are not eligible for Complete My Album. Also note that if you purchase a pre-release single from a qualifying album, your eligibility window to complete the album begins on the date the album is released, not on the date of purchase of the pre-release song.



How is my Complete My Album price calculated?

Your Complete My Album price is based on the content you previously acquired from iTunes. If you purchased your songs, we adjust the current album price by the retail price you paid for those song(s). If you acquired your content through select, eligible song code promotions, we adjust the current album price by the full retail price of the song(s). Please note that if you previously acquired so many single tracks from the same album that the Complete My Album price would be less than the current price of a single song (a single video for a video album), you will not be able to purchase the remaining tracks using Complete My Album.



Are there any items that are not eligible for Complete My Album?

You will not be able to complete your album using songs acquired through Single Of The Week or Discovery Download promotions. Additionally, content acquired through select song code promotions or select bonus material may be excluded. In some cases, Apple may not have the rights to provide Complete My Album for particular albums, songs or videos.



What if I purchased a song and now want to Complete My Album, but I can no longer find it on the iTunes Store?

If an album is no longer available on the iTunes Store, you will not be able to complete your album.

If you don't see an album on the Complete My Album page:
  • The album itself may no longer be available for sale on iTunes. or
  • You acquired the content with song code promotions which do not qualify for Complete My Album credits. or
  • Apple may not have the rights to offer Complete My Album for that album. or
  • You first downloaded a song off of the album more than 180 days ago.


What if I previously purchased a song but I accidentally deleted it? Can I download it again for free with Complete My Album?

If you acquired a song and deleted it, you will be able to Complete Your Album even if it is not in your iTunes Library. However, at the time of Complete My Album, the original song you purchased will not be downloaded.



Can I choose between clean and explicit versions of albums?

If you purchased your song from the clean version of an album, you will only be able to complete your album on the clean version. The same applies for explicit versions. The only exception is if you purchased an unmarked (clean) Pre-Release Single, and both clean and explicit album versions are later released, you will have a choice to complete either one of the albums (but not both).



Are music videos eligible as part of Complete My Album?

Yes. Purchased music videos may be applied toward Complete My Album on eligible music albums and music video albums.



Is Complete My Album available for TV show seasons?

No.



Do Apple compilations, iMixes, iTunes Essentials, Celebrity playlists, count towards Complete My Album?

If you purchased a song from an Essentials, Celebrity, or iMix playlist, you will only be able to apply your purchase to complete the song's original album in the iTunes Store. Essentials, Celebrity, and iMix playlists are not eligible to be completed using Complete My Album.



Are EPs eligible for Complete My Album?

Yes.



Are Soundtracks eligible for Complete My Album?

Soundtracks are eligible only if all songs within a soundtrack are individually for sale.



Are purchased Works (Example: Beethoven: The Complete Symphonies) applicable towards Complete My Album?

No.



Is bonus material included as part of my Complete My Album download?

Complete My Album will include whatever content is included on the eligible album on the iTunes Store at that time. For example, bonus materials only available at pre-order fulfillment will not be included in the Complete My Album purchase.



How does a Complete My Album offer with iTunes Plus songs work?

If the songs you own are AAC Protected or a mix of both AAC Protected and iTunes Plus, the Complete My Album offer will deliver the remaining songs in iTunes Plus if iTunes Plus content is available.